To establish an online identity for yourself or your business, you need to get a website. To get a website, you need to buy domain name and web hosting, for which you need to find the perfect type of web hosting that suits your website’s needs and this is a very important step to get online. This step will decide whether your website will perform up to its potential and contribute in establishing you online, or not.
In order to select the best web hosting server that is perfect for your website, you have to take into consideration some important factors that play a big role in the proper working of your website. To choose best hosting option for your needs from Shared web hosting, VPS hosting and Dedicated server, it is best to compare and evaluate them for all the pros and cons.
Below is the comparison of three hosting types (Shared, VPS and Dedicated) that will help you to make a wise decision. Later in this article, we will evaluate all three types of hosting in detail.
|Features||Shared hosting||VPS hosting||Dedicated hosting|
|Resources||Low and shared||Moderate and virtually personal||Highest and not shared|
|Simplicity||Simplest to set up and manage||Requires technical knowledge||Less complex than a VPS|
|Salability of resources||Not scalable||Easily scalable||Less scalable|
|Website traffic handled (visitors/moth)||Less than 10,000||Up to 1,00,000||Over 1,00,000|
|Control of server||Least control of user||High control with root access||Complete control of resources|
|Security||Security is less||Security is good||Highest security|
|Price||Cheaper||Cheaper than dedicated server||Most expensive|
What is Shared Hosting?
Shared web hosting is the most basic type of hosting service available for hosting a website. It is relatively cheap as compared to other hosting options.
In shared web hosting, you host your website on a server that is shared for hosting hundreds of other websites. On this server, you share all the resources like CPU, Memory, Bandwidth, Disk space, etc. with others.
How does shared hosting work?
In shared hosting, the hosting service provider allocates small part of the resources on a server among hundreds of users. These resources are neither physically nor virtually divided among the users. So, at a certain point of time, if some user gets heavy traffic on his website, then it may consume more resources and some other websites may suffer due to this.
To take care of these high resource consuming situations, hosting service providers do put a limit on the amount of resources that each user can use on a shared hosting server. After this limit is reached and they want more resources, then they are advised to upgrade to VPS or a dedicated server.
Benefits of shared hosting
Shared web hosting is the most common option used by individuals and small businesses. The advantages of using shared web hosting are
- It is extremely cheap as the resources are shared among users.
- It is very easy to set up.
- Supports WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and other platforms.
- Supports websites with average traffic of 10,000 visitors per month.
Disadvantages of shared hosting
Shared web hosting is definitely a great way to get started with hosting a website, but you may face some disadvantages in some cases.
- Resources are shared and hence only limited resources are available for you.
- A website with security vulnerabilities on a shared server can also affect other websites on that same server.
- Cannot handle low amount of website traffic (< 10,000 visitors/month).
Shared hosting is best for?
More than 99% of websites run on shared web hosting. Shared hosting is a go to option for you if you are –
- Just getting started with hosting
- Have a website traffic of less than 10,000 visitors per month.
- You are having a static website consuming low CPU resources.
Here is a useful link to help you compare and find the best shared hosting provider for your website.
What is VPS hosting?
VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting is the mix of shared hosting and a dedicated server. A VPS also hosts multiple users on the same server, but they are completely isolated from each other. In a VPS (Virtual Private Server) the virtual partitions are allocated to different users and the resources (like CPU, Memory, Bandwidth, Disk space, etc.) are allocated to each user, but not shared among each other.
It provides isolation and freedom of having your own server (like a dedicated server) at a relatively cheaper price.
How does a VPS (Virtual Private Server) work?
In VPS hosting, a single server is virtually divided into multiple virtual compartments (or virtual servers). Each of these virtual server is capable of functioning independently with an independent OS (Operating System).
Though in VPS hosting, multiple websites are hosted on the same server, but each website is isolated in its own virtual compartment. This ensures that server resources (CPU, RAM, disk space, etc.) allocated to your virtual compartment are consumed by your website only. Any activity of other websites on the VPS, will not have any effect on performance of your website.
Benefits of using VPS hosting
The advantages of using a Virtual Private Server for hosting your website are
- Get better performance for your website when compared with shared web hosting.
- Have complete root access to your virtual compartment on the VPS, install OS and applications on it. This provides you control and benefits like that of a dedicated server.
- You can scale resources on demand as per the need or amount of traffic on your website.
- You get VPS at a cheaper price compared to a dedicated server.
Disadvantages of a VPS
A VPS provides many features for the technically adept person, but you may face some disadvantages like
- Need technical knowledge for efficient management of the VPS.
- Is more expensive than shared web hosting.
Virtual Private Server (VPS) is best for?
A Virtual Private Server is the best option for you in following cases.
- You need complete control over the server for installing and managing applications and OS.
- You are a programmer or web designer and need high amount of resources.
- Your website has moderately high amount of traffic (upto 1,00,000 visitors/month).
Here is a useful link to help you compare and find the best VPS hosting provider for your website.
What is Dedicated Server Hosting?
In dedicated hosting, as the name implies as entire server is dedicated for hosting a single website. Thus, in a dedicated server all the resources (CPU, RAM, Disk space, etc.) are entirely alloted to you.
Dedicated hosting is the most expensive option for hosting a website and it also provides the best website performance, with fast page-load times, dedicated IP address, etc. and can handle website traffic over 1,00,000 visitors per month.
How does Dedicated Server Hosting work?
The working of dedicated server is very simple. In a dedicated server, all the server resources are available for a single website. It gives you complete flexibility and freedom, as you have complete server to yourself.
It provides the highest performance for your website with capability to handle heavy website traffic and CPU usage. You have complete access to the server and can install applications and OS of your choice. A dedicated server also provides the most secure environment for hosting your website.
Benefits of using a Dedicated Server
There are multiple advantages of using a dedicated server for hosting your website.
- Gives the best website performance with highest available resources.
- Can handle high website traffic of over 1,00,000 visitors per month.
- It is relatively easy to setup and manage compared to a VPS.
- It provides most secure environment for your website.
Disadvantages of a Dedicated Server
A dedicated server provides the best performance for a website, but there are also some disadvantages associated with it.
- A dedicated server is very expensive compared to VPS and shared hosting.
- Most of the server resources remain unused in times of low traffic.
Dedicated Server is best for?
A dedicated server is the best option for you in following conditions.
- Your website regularly attracts very high amount on traffic (over 1,00,000 visitors/month)
- Your website needs high computing resources for better performance.
- You are developer and need high computing resources for development and testing work.
Here is a useful link to help you compare and find the best dedicated server hosting provider for your website.
Using above mentioned evaluation points will definitely help you in finding the best type of web hosting for your website. If you want to share feedback or have any query do share it in the comments section below.